Saurwein,

Chi

Riesling,
Elgin,South Africa,
2021
,
  • Tim Atkin: 93

£30.49

Bottle size: 750 ml,

In stock

Chi means “life force” and Chi stands for CHIUTA (an African rain god). Situated in the fertile Elgin valley, the picturesque vineyard site inspired the creation of this crisp, handcrafted Riesling.
2021 was a good vintage with a long cool late ripening. Keywords for this vintage: mid palate fullness, terpene aromas.

Category:
In The Cellar
Grapes were hand-picked, cooled, then hand-sorted, destemmed and pressed. Spontaneous fermentation took place in stainless steel tanks, which lasted about 6 weeks until optimal residual sugar balance achieved at about 11,5 g/ l. The wine was prepared for bottling and bottled after 3 months in tank and released after another 3 months in bottle.

In The Vineyard
60% of the blend’s fruit comes from Casey’s Ridge Vineyard, Elgin on loamy and very rocky red slate soils. (Riesling clones WR110F and vineyard was planted 2011.) The other 40% of the blend De Rust Vineyard, Elgin on decomposed Bokkeveld Shale. (Riesling clones 110 & 239 and vineyard was planted 2006.)
Gorgeous scents of apple blossom, lime zest, green papaya, fresh herbs and a hint of slate carry through to a palate that balances tropical fruit, juiciness and tangy notes too - tangerine and Persian lime, both the leaves and zest, and good weight. It's long and refreshing.
Alcohol:11,5 %